Thursday, October 28, 2004

Self respect: 1 Yenta: 0

So a few nights ago I went to a shule (synagogue) dinner in Washington Heights, my old stomping ground. It was fabulous. So many people I genuinely like, all in one place. And so many former neighbors who were clearly excited to see me - great for the ego!

A moment I want to share: A lovely and generally gracious older lady approached me and asked me how I'm doing. I said "I'm doing great! Making aliyah was one of the best decisions I ever made. My career is taking off, I love my apartment, and I have nice friends in Israel. I'm really happy."

Her response: "We should hear good news from you soon."

I looked her squarely in the eye and said firmly but with a smile: "You just did hear good news from me."

She said, "Well, you know what news I mean . . . we should hear it soon."

I didn't back off. I repeated "You just did hear good news from me. I'm doing very well."

I don't think she really heard it, and I still feel frustrated that my being happy can't just be enough, that unless I'm engaged there's still something more she wants from me . . . but at least I didn't just let it slide.


No comments:

Post a Comment