Friday, December 10, 2004

Intimate Reader Poll

Via Bronco Buddha, this very moving post at Jack's Shack about crying.

I have a friend who often does a "question of the meal" at her Shabbat table. She asks questions that go a lot deeper than "what's your favorite ice-cream flavor." They are things like -- and this is my favorite one of all time -- "What is something you admire about one of your siblings?" (My answer back then was, and still is, that she's a great mom.)

One time we were at an oneg of about 30 NCSY teenagers, and the question was "when was the last time you cried?" It was amazing how the kids opened up. These questions create real intimacy. I recall that they did not have to say why they cried unless they wanted to, but just knowing when was the last time really opened my eyes about a lot of those kids. I think it was especially moving to see how many people had cried very recently. Whatever the reasons were, they had allowed themselves to feel something powerful.

[on a related note, I heard a cool thing at UYO once. "Intimacy" . . . . "Into me, see."]

So, the question of the day is: When was the last time you cried?

I'll start: Last night.

[And, if you want to say something you admire about a sibling, you can include that, too. :-) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment