Monday, December 13, 2004

Singles Shabbaton Chronicles Part 11

Friday 10:15 pm

I’m in the hotel lobby, talking to Officious Cohen Man, an American who seems to be in his late 30's. He lives in the Old City, in order to be near the action as soon as the Temple is rebuilt. He tells me that it’s very important for me to get to know him, so that I will have connections in the priestly family. He is 100 percent serious.

I ask him where he is from, and he says “Jerusalem.”

Chayyei Sarah: Yes, and where are you from originally?

Officious Cohen: Jerusalem.

[C.S. is confused]

Chayyei Sarah: But you speak fluent English with an American accent; where did you learn to speak English like that?

Officious Cohen [smiling smugly]: Ah, you see, you were asking the wrong question. I’m from Israel. Ultimately, all Jews are from Israel. If you ask me where I am from, I will always say Jerusalem, you see?

Chayyei Sarah: I see. [sighs] Fine. Where in America have you lived?

Officious Cohen: Ah, that is much better.

Chayyei Sarah is not surprised to learn that he is from – sorry, lived in- Flatbush.

No comments:

Post a Comment