Friday, July 29, 2005

Tel Aviv on my mind

Yesterday I had to go to TA for a work-related matter, and afterward I met Lisa for a coffee-klatch. It turned into a 3-hour lunch date! Amazing how two bloggers who are so different can get along so well. She is one fabulous chyck.

For those following Lisa's blog: Nyah nyah nyah, I got the whole story about what happened in Tokyo and how she ended up back in Israel. I know more than you do. Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyaaaaah nyah.

Thanks to Lisa for introducing me to her hangout, Cafe Ginsburg. Wow, a trendy and kosher place in Tel Aviv. Yes indeed, Lisa knew almost everyone who walked through the door. She reminds me of the Edith Wharton - Dorothy Parker era: expatriate English speaker in a foreign cafe, getting to know the whole artsy crowd who comes in. It may not exactly be Lisa's life, but that's what it reminded me of. (Actually, did Dorothy Parker ever live abroad? Not sure. Anyhow, you know what I mean.)

Onto another matter: Some kid on my street has been learning to pluck out various religious and Israeli standards (hatikva, shalom aleichem, kol haolam kulo, al kol eilah) on the piano. At first I thought: How nice, to hear these classic and clean tunes as I go about my day. But after a week of hearing these songs played one note at a time by a small finger somewhere, I got really sick of it.

At last, today, the kid started playing chords.

Thank God!

Yes, my street is very quiet. Nothing ever happens here, bli ayin hara, poo poo poo. If you want glamour, try Lisa.

Have a Shabbat Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment