Sunday, June 25, 2006

Those *Bleeping* *Bleeps*

This morning, Palestinian militants/gunmen/thugs/whatever dug a tunnel under the border fence and attacked an IDF post on Israeli territory. No links necessary; it's all over pretty much any news source you use.

Interestingly, as of noon Israeli time, the New York Times and CNN are reporting that 2 Israelis were killed, but Haaretz and the JPost are saying only that troops were wounded. This may have to do with Israeli news sources not reporting deaths of soldiers until the families are notified . . . though I certainly hope that it's a mistake on the part of the American press, and that in fact none of our boys are dead. I really hope so, because whenever soldiers die, all I can think of for the rest of the day is their poor parents.

Those *bleeping* Palestinian *bleeps.*

By the way, a couple of hours ago I noticed that NYTimes.com had posted a 1:22 AM EST report by the Associated Press about this event, and that the headline at NYTimes.com said that the IDF post was in Gaza. I called the New York Times' news/correction hotline, and left a message pointing out that the post was near Gaza, not in it, and that, as far as I know there are no IDF posts in Gaza anymore - which was the point of the withdrawal last summer, you know?

By 3:20 AM EST the story was higher up on the site, with additional information in the story -- and an accurate headline. I'm positive this has more to do with the AP providing more information than with my phone call, but at least I did my part.

And, yes, I'm working on the "eating crow" post and other related things. Until I post that, I feel it would be unseemly to post about other things going on in my life. But I just have no time to sit down and write about all the MANY things related to the Gaza beach explosion that I still want to say.

Be that as it may, when I saw that two major news sources were saying that 2 Israeli soldiers had been killed, I was moved to break the blog silence.

(But, just for the future, I MUST emphasize that whether I post about something or not is NOT an accurate indication of how much I care about it. There are MANY things going on that I care about -- but sometimes I have not much to add, or I just don't have time to blog. It really irks me when people insinuate that I care more about Palestinian deaths than I do about Israeli ones, when this blog is sooooooo not an indication of every single thought that goes through my head.)

***UPDATE***

1 pm Israel time: Jpost and Haaretz are now reporting that two soldier were killed.

Baruch Dayan HaEmet. :-(

And one soldier kidnapped . . . oh man . . . I still have nightmares about Nachshon Waxman, and that was years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment