Saturday, December 01, 2007

A Recipe for BubbyT

A commenter named BubbyT asked for the recipe for the soup I served on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I cannot find an email address associated with her blog, so here it is for all of you to enjoy. I adapted it from a recipe I found at allrecipes.com. Enjoy it!

Chayyei Sarah's Zucchini Soup

In a large frying pan, sautee together in canola oil (or some other vegetable oil)

2 chopped onions (I used 3 small ones)

3-4 small white potatoes, peeled and diced

8 zucchini (I used kishuim), chopped -- don't worry if you can't get it all into the pan. Just sautee as much as you can, and the rest you'll add directly to the hot water later.

½ tspn dried basil

½ tspn dried rosemary

¼ tspn dried thyme

¼ tspn ground white pepper (I wasn't so fond of this and might not use it next time)

In a large separate pot, bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil. It’s OK to add some water, but not too much – maybe just another 2 cups or so, maximum.

Add the zucchini mixture (and any un-sauteed zucchini that you couldn't fit in the pan before). Reduce heat and simmer at least 15 minutes. (I simmered for 45 minutes and it was A-OK.)

Use a hand blender to puree the soup. Add 1 cup pareve cream and bring just to a boil, but don’t boil it. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce.

Season with salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment