Saturday, March 08, 2014

Moscow (Part VII - Wednesday)

Click here for Parts I, IIIIIIVV and VI.

When I woke up, it was dark outside and my phone said it was about 6:30 pm. But I didn't know if it was still Wednesday, or if I'd slept through Wednesday night and most of Thursday. The practical question was whether I was about to miss the ballet at the Bolshoi, which was on Thursday at 7 pm. A call to the front desk and some simple words in English combined with the help of my phrasebook determined that it was still Wednesday, thank God. The thought that I might have slept through my chance to go to the Bolshoi had almost made me cry.

I puttered around my room, changing into pajamas, eating a bowl of oatmeal – slowly, in case it hit my stomach wrong – and drinking lots of water (which tasted fine from the tap). At
8 pm, the phone rang in my room; Rusina had heard from the taxi driver that I was sick, and was calling to find out what was going on. I told her that after my nap I no longer felt on the verge of death, and that it had been tough but I think now I was well enough to take care of myself, I just need to take things slow. I told her that in the morning I'd go to exchange money and I think as long as I didn't push myself too hard, I'd be all right. I felt relieved that she'd called; at least someone now knew where I was and what was going on.

I watched a little TV before going back to bed. The shows in
Russia were the same mix as what I see in the States. Cooking shows, action shows, dramas, Family Guy, Friends. Everything was dubbed over in Russian, with the English just barely audible in the background. Comprehension was just beyond my reach. I watched a long infomercial about a container that also chops, grates, and slices your vegetables, and went back to bed. I couldn't brush my teeth because the toothbrush was in the depths of my suitcase and I didn't have the strength to look for it, and anyway I had no toothpaste. I didn't set my alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment